The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) as we have it today has become a leading ODL institution in Africa providing functional, flexible, accessible and cost-effective education for all who seek knowledge. It currently has 78 Study Centres spread across the six geo-political zones of the country. The current student population stands at over five hundred thousand.
As a faithful trustee of the Nigerian people, NOUN leverages on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to deliver an education tailored towards the globalized economy. The University offers exceptional academic programmes that meet the specific needs of all sectors of the global economy, in the Arts; Health; Law; Physical, Social, Agricultural and Management Sciences.
As an ODL institution, The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) is an equal opportunity university determined to meet the following objectives that necessitated the establishment of open and distance education in Nigeria:
- Provision of Education for All and promotion of lifelong learning
- Filling the gap created by the closure of outreaches/satellite campuses
- Cost effectiveness
- Improved economies of scale
- Flexibility of delivery system
- Maximum utilization of academic personnel
- On-the-job teacher training
- Poverty eradication, vocational and lifelong education
- Provision of non-formal education
- Reaching the unreached
- Propagation of national orientation